I don’t spend much time in the Hann Mariste, mainly because I live outside the city and don’t have kids that attend DA. But I was in the area the other day and needed to do some grocery shopping, so I headed over to the City Dia. Imagine my surprise when I turned a corner to head down the last aisle and there was this waiting for me!
A fantastic little beauty section complete with makeup, nail polishes, scrubs and lotions. All sorts of bath bombs in fun scents, specialized soaps, lip glosses and eye shadows. There’s even a very helpful young lady to help you match your skin tone or make suggestions on products!
Lots of lipstick too in loads of great colors!! Perfect for the #GazelleLipChallenge tomorrow
This morning’s post on IG
To be honest, I wanted the dermatologist to tell me that using products X, Y and Z twice daily would make my skin look like a 20 year old’s until the day I die. Not quite what I got. This particular dermatologist (contact info below) is not so much into creams and lotions and such. And surprisingly, not as into sunscreen as I expected!
– Between age 30-35, a woman’s skin changes significantly (losing firmness) and then again at menopause (losing elasticity). Neither can be prevented but both can be dealt with well… or badly.
– Drinking water is key because hydration begins on the inside.
– She recommended Anthélios sunscreen SPF 50 (and a hat) for when I run or go to the pool/beach, but said a little sun day-to-day is not bad for your skin and studies are showing it may even be beneficial. Anthélios makes several SPF levels and formulas for different kinds of skin (mattifying, etc…) and she said a trained pharmacist should be able to help you choose a good match for your skin. (Several Gazelle Skirt readers recommended Anthélios and products by its parent company, La Roche-Posay, so I will definitely be trying this!)
– Baobab oil does not penetrate to the deepest skin layers, but forms a protective barrier. So if your skin is dry, you need to hydrate it first with a moisturizing cream and then apply baobab oil. She recommended Icytane HD as a deep moisturizer if one is needed.
– Retin A and other similar products may be helpful for fine lines but she suggests instead twice daily very gentle facial massages, tapping your skin with your fingertips while moving upward. In her opinion, the actual product is less important than the manner and frequency in which it is applied. The stimulation from the massage will increase blood flow and overall health of your skin.
– Chemical peels do work, but many women do not need them.
– It’s all mostly genetics anyway.
Dr. Sonia Bouksani is located in the Urgencies Cardio offices on the Ancienne Piste (and she speaks English). 77 510 0535
“These are not mere dolls. These dolls are the spokesmen of the multi-ethnic African culture. Originally they were created to fill the void of black dolls in the Nigerian market. They have been very popular in English-speaking countries, and now they have arrived in Senegal! Our desire is that every little Senegalese girl can identify with her doll. These dolls fill a social, educational and psychological role.
They are truly African and this is represented proudly in their look, their hairstyles, their skin and their features. Their clothes are made in African workshops and their hair braided by expert African women. It provides work for many African families in a social equity objective.”
SOCALA- Magasin de jouets à Dakar
rue A X Rue 1 Point E
Tel: 33.824.04.64 or 77.419.82.82
For more details, check out the Queens of Africa – Senegal Facebook page or contact Marie at email@example.com or 78.465.56.27. Free delivery for orders in Dakar. Delivery available in other regions of Senegal and abroad. Email for pricing information. All photos courtesy of Queens of Africa.
Amazing. Beautiful. Perfect. Way better than I had even hoped.
Marietou made the most gorgeous quilt using wax print pieces, thin batting and Swiss cotton backing. It is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect lines, beautifully patterned squared, just the right thickness, soft but sturdy… I am really in love with this quilt. Excellent work, Marietou.
You supply the wax print and she will supply the rest.
Baby quilt: 25,000cfa
Twin quilt: 50,000cfa
Full/Queen quilt: 65,000cfa
King quilt: 80,000cfa
Marietou: 707784479 (speaks English)
The Gazelle Skirt is excited to announce its fourth SWAP event! On the morning of Saturday, January 30th, we will be hosting a clothing SWAP and proceeds will benefit the women’s prisons in Dakar and Rufisque.
All members of our Facebook Group (join here) and their guests.
Our guest of honor is Mme Ndeye Diouf who has volunteered in the prisons for 15 years.
When and where?
The SWAP will be held in Pojnt E from 10am to noon on January 30th. For directions, see our Facebook page.
How does it work?
Donate women’s clothing items that you no longer want and swap them with others.
- Clothing must be in good condition, clean and folded.
- Shoes, jewelry, handbags and other accessories in good condition may be swapped as well.
- For each item you bring, you will receive one ticket.
- All items ‘cost’ one ticket.
- Any items remaining at the end of the day will be donated to detainees at the women’s prison.
Please note that t-shirts and underwear are not allowed in the SWAP, but if they are in good condition, we happily accept them as donations .
Due to the growth of this event, clothing must be dropped off at one of the two locations (Mermoz or Hann Maristes) BEFORE January 28th! Drop-off dates and times will be announced on our Facebook page. If you choose to drop off clothing at a time outside of those specified, you may send your clothing via Sen Express (3000 cfa flat rate). Contact us for the address details and to set this up.
When you arrive at the SWAP, your ticket will be ready and waiting so you can start shopping right away!
Wow. This sounds amazing. The entry fee is probably like 10,000cfa, right?
No, my friend. Special price for you, nice lady. 😉
Entry for the event is 1,500cfa and proceeds will go towards transporting the clothing to the women’s prisons.
Now that I’ve got your attention…
The Braderie is back! It’s a large sale event of high quality clothing at deeply discounted prices that starts today and will run through Tuesday, 10am to 7pm daily. The sale will feature around 1000 articles of clothing, for both men and women, at prices ranging from 10,000 to 100,000 CFA. Great atmosphere made even better by refreshments (tea, coffee, beer, cookies…) and music.
Among the brands available: Patrizia Pepe, Gérard Darel, Façonnable, Malene Birger, Plein Sud, Eleven Paris, and many more.
Directions: Take King Fahd Palace road and turn right at the Hotel Azur (which has recently changed names). Go straight for about 200 meters and look for the villa with a poster on the door.
Marie Claude has expanded her selection of services and treatments, all available in your home. Now available: Thai reflexogy! A 1h 15mins session is 35,000cfa. All her massages and reflexology treatments can be adapted to the client’s needs. And gift certificates are ready and waiting for you(r friends)!
Contact her for more information and be sure to ask about her package deals and fidelity card. Marie Claude speaks French and English and can be reached at 77 528 6401. You can view her list of available services and pricing in English here.